If you're here, it's because you need a good teeth whitening. Are you looking for a home-made technique? A natural product that is perfectly efficient to have white teeth? Have you heard of baking soda? You need to know why you should use this product rather than another. Indeed, it can be used as a complement to a Toothpaste. It can also be used as an alternative. It has the advantage that it can be used at home for a variety of purposes: cleaning, cooking and also dental hygiene. There are several types of bicarbonate: medicinal, technical and food. In dental whitening, we use more the food bicarbonate. Its use avoids asking for help from your dentist. It is just as effective as tooth whitening done by this specialist. From this week on, you will be able to take your dental health in hand.
In this review, we will talk about the effects of baking soda on your teeth and how it is the best solution for fast teeth whitening.
Baking soda and its benefits
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is a white crystalline powder. It is a natural and alkaline agent whose main characteristic is to neutralise the acids produced by the degradation of food debris that gets stuck between the teeth after a meal. This debris causes bad breath and destroys tooth enamel. It is mainly caused by poor brushing and lack of use of dental floss or interdental brushes. In addition, it removes all yellow discolouration caused by poor diet or excessive smoking. It is the product that keeps you healthy in the long term.
Here are the main components of baking soda and it's benefits :
1) Calcium carbonate
Calcium carbonate is one of the most common minerals found in the world around us. It is a versatile mineral, in other words, it can be used in all daily activities. In the field of health, it is particularly well known for its natural calcium content. It is an active ingredient that has a repairing and scaling effect in cases of dentine hypersensitivity.
2) Sodium chloride
Sodium or sea salt is a mineral substance that allows the human body to function properly. When used for brushing teeth, it promotes salivary secretion and improves the disposition of gum tissue. When used as a mouthwash or toothpaste, it gives you fresher breath. It eliminates the dental plaque that accumulates when teeth are not brushed properly.
Reasons to whiten your teeth with baking soda
Traditional toothpastes contain chemical ingredients that are harmful to teeth and gums. Natural toothpastes, on the other hand, are made from 100% vegan ingredients. Baking soda, the basic ingredient of a good natural toothpaste, is an ecological product that is equally effective for the home and for oral hygiene. Indeed, it has an abrasive power that removes surface stains from teeth to make them whiter. Its primary function is therefore to ensure better brushing quality. Each tooth should be brushed in the same way.
Here are the main benefits of baking soda:
- Sanitizing your mouth for a thorough oral cleaning
- Dissolve food residues that remain in your mouth
- Reduce the formation of plaque and tartar that accumulates after poor brushing
- Rebalance the PH of the mouth with high acidity
- Polish tooth enamel by removing all brown stains
- Prevent cavities by eliminating bacteria
Baking soda is a good add-on to the action of an electric toothbrush and chewing toothpaste or tube. For example, you can use a Y-Brush toothbrush which will remove 15% more plaque than a traditional toothbrush. Then, complement its use with baking soda which will remove the remaining plaque.
The easy way to use baking soda to whiten your teeth
Using baking soda? Nothing could be easier? Simply put baking soda powder on your toothpaste. You can brush your teeth in the usual way. It is recommended that you use your usual toothpaste. However, if it contains fluoride, you should consider buying one that does not. This is because toothpaste with fluoride causes damage to the tooth enamel, also known as "enamel fluorosis".
However, it should be taken into account that baking soda is an abrasive product. Therefore, rubbing your teeth with baking soda too regularly will damage them. This damages the enamel of the teeth and makes them much more sensitive. It is therefore necessary to use baking soda carefully. In addition, regular use of baking soda damages the gums. Furthermore, if you have sensitive teeth and gums, it is better to avoid brushing your teeth with baking soda.
It is therefore recommended to use baking soda only in addition to an effective toothpaste that does not contain fluoride. Y-Brush chewable toothpaste is one of these. Its main effects are: to reduce acid attack, to act against bacteria, to fight against dental plaque and to give a fresh breath to the user.
Baking soda is used daily
The benefits of baking soda have been proven. Baking soda is a product that is frequently used. It is very easy to obtain for daily use. All shops sell it.
-In all supermarkets and supermarkets (you can find them in the same place as salt, pepper and spices).
- In small and large pharmacies and drugstores
- In drugstores or delicatessens
- In all DIY shops
- Online sites (Amazon, Cdiscount, Manomano)
It is very well used with a toothbrush like Y-Brush which is adapted to all types of people. That is to say, both dependent people (people with disabilities or elderly) but also young and old who are looking for comfort and speed in brushing their teeth daily.
The attractive price of baking soda
To avoid buying several kinds of baking soda, you can buy only the one for whitening your teeth. You can therefore only use baking soda. It is sold the cheapest on the Internet or in supermarkets. It is generally sold between 2 and 4 euros per 500 grams. Indeed, prices vary slightly depending on the brand of baking soda sold. The advantage of buying online is that you can have a large stock of baking soda delivered. You receive it in only a few working days.
Here is a small overview of the cheapest brands on the market:
- St. Clair : Selling price of 1.59 euros
- L'Artisan Savonnier : selling price of 2.13 euros
- La Baleine : selling price of 2.60 euros
- Ah-Table! : Selling price : 2.79 euros
- Impact : Sale price of 2.90 euros
Making your own toothpaste with baking soda
The aim of natural toothpaste is to guarantee an immediate whitening effect, unlike toothpaste in a tube. It also keeps your teeth healthy and protects you from potential oral diseases. You can say goodbye to coffee stains on your teeth. There are several methods of making natural baking soda toothpaste. These three methods are effective oral care for home tooth whitening. These are beauty tips that you should know.
1) First method: mixture of baking soda and white clay
- Take a wet electric toothbrush
- Put several tablespoons of white clay in a jar or container
- Add a tablespoon of sodium bicarbonate and mix
- Add 8 to 10 drops of essential oil of mint (sweet or peppermint, depending on your preference)
- Gently mix your preparation and put it in a glass jar
- Keep the toothpaste for a maximum of 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
2) Second method: mix sodium bicarbonate and lemon juice
- Take an electric or manual Toothbrush
- Pour the juice of half a lemon into a glass
- Mix to the max with 75 grams of baking soda
- Rinse your teeth several times with tap water
- Put the resulting mixture in a glass jar
- Brush your teeth ideally twice a week with this preparation
3) Third method: bicarbonate and hydrogen peroxide mixture
- Put three drops of hydrogen peroxide in a small plastic cup
- Add bicarbonate powder to fill it completely
- Mix with a spatula to obtain a thick paste
- Leave the mixture to rest for a maximum of 3 minutes
- Brush your teeth and interdental spaces with the preparation
- Repeat this whitening treatment once a month
Toothpaste with baking soda is only effective if it is applied to a toothbrush that allows effective brushing. The main advantage of the Y-Brush toothbrush is that it simplifies tooth brushing. It allows you to brush all sides simultaneously thanks to its filaments which have the right inclination. The gesture to be made is thus perfectly automated.
An antiseptic mouthwash with baking soda
Baking soda is antibacterial. It is because of this property that it is used for mouthwashes. It eliminates or prevents bacteria that cause mouth infections. It destroys impurities as easily as interdental brushes. This means you are less likely to get gingivitis, cavities or plaque. It is one of the most commonly used remedies for tooth-related problems. To make this mouthwash with baking soda, you just need to know the recipe.
Here are the steps to follow to prepare your mouthwash:
- Take a small plastic cup
- Fill the cup about halfway with water
- Put a teaspoon of baking soda inside
- Add a pinch of salt to the mixture
- Brush your teeth effectively and rinse your mouth
- Do your mouthwash at least once a day
Remember that mouthwash is not a substitute for regular visits to your dentist to check your oral health.
We hope that this article has convinced you to use baking soda to whiten your teeth.
Little more: If you want to learn more about the virtues of baking soda, there is the book: "Bicarbonate: a concentrate of tips for your home, your health, your beauty" by Nicolas Palangié. You can also wait for the other articles on the subject.