If you are here, it is because you are looking for a toothbrush that will allow you to use it differently than a manual toothbrush. It's true that the electric toothbrush is similar in many ways to the manual toothbrush, but it has powerful technology that allows it to meet all of your specific brushing needs. If you pick the right electric toothbrush for you.
Here's a guide to understanding what an electric toothbrush is.
The electric toothbrush
The electric toothbrush allows you to take much better care of your oral health than a classic manual toothbrush. It is a toothbrush that uses electrical energy, which is often supplied by a battery, to make the brush head oscillate rapidly from one side to the other, or in a circular fashion, in order to reduce the manual effort of a manual toothbrush and improve toothbrushing. It is very often used with a hydropulper.
What is the best electric toothbrush ?
Elements to find the best electric toothbrush :
- The types of toothbrush bristles: When it comes to the bristles that accompany the head of the electric toothbrush, it is best to opt for the synthetic and soft ones. In most cases, it is clearly indicated that one type of bristles is suitable for whitening, another type is suitable for polishing and another type has been designed for people with sensitive teeth. All you have to do is choose the one that suits you best.
- A small, round toothbrush head: Effective brushing depends on adopting the best strokes, including rotary strokes, every time you brush. These movements can only be reproduced when the head of your electric toothbrush is round and small enough compared to the size of your mouth. This allows you to both brush gently without any pressure and to easily access hard-to-reach areas of your teeth.
How to choose an electric toothbrush ?
Know the advantages of each type of electric toothbrush
- Oscillo-rotating toothbrushes: they have a small round head that makes circular movements by alternating the direction of rotation. It allows you to reach hard-to-reach places with great speed.
Sonic toothbrushes: their brush head has a more classic shape. They work thanks to a vibration system to disintegrate dental plaque and vaporize saliva to reach areas that are difficult to access with a manual toothbrush.
Take into account a number of selection criteria
- The timer: It signals that the two minutes of brushing are over with a sound or a vibration. You know that it is at this moment that you must stop brushing your teeth. Some models are even more efficient and warn you to change sides every thirty seconds.
- Pressure sensors: the sensors warn you if there is too much pressure on your teeth and gums. The speed automatically slows down and then returns to normal once the risk is eliminated.
- Brushing modes: some electric toothbrushes have several modes: whitening, gum care, tongue cleaning, etc.
- Connected mode: the electric toothbrush communicates with your smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth. Cleaning level, duration, brushing progress, statistics: a wealth of data is available to you to monitor your oral hygiene.
The ideal toothbrush: the one adapted to your needs
- A much more efficient brushing need
The reliability of the electric toothbrush's movements is also a guarantee of efficiency. The electric toothbrush's rapid pulses or rotations act with regularity, and their complete mode of action optimizes brushing. It thus contributes effectively to the reduction of the risk of dental caries or gum disease.
- Gum massage
Massaging the gums while brushing is one of the main objectives of the electric toothbrush. In fact, some electric toothbrush heads have a massage function to improve the micro-sanguine circulation of the gums and thus strengthen them. They will therefore be less affected by oral diseases.
- The ease of use of the toothbrush
It makes this recurring chore of brushing your teeth easy. In fact, with an oscillating brush, all you have to do is hold the electric toothbrush against your teeth and it is your movements, not your hand, that clean them, minimizing the effort. Some elderly or disabled people may find it a valuable alternative to manual brushing.
How to use an electric toothbrush ?
How to use a sonic toothbrush
To use a sonic electric toothbrush, you must make the same kind of movements as with a manual brush. It is important to make small movements from the gum towards the tooth. You must brush the upper jaw and the lower jaw separately. You should first place the brush on the gum at an angle of about 45°, then make slight rotations with the wrist while moving the brush towards the teeth. This way, depending on the width of the brush, you can treat several teeth at once. Of course, you must not forget the inside of the teeth and the chewing surface.
Using an oscillating toothbrush
Oscillo-rotating toothbrushes rotate (often in alternating directions) and, depending on the model, may add pulsing or vertical movements. They have a round brush head capable of up to 48,000 strokes per minute. Their brushes are small and round. These are conveniently small toothbrushes that can fit into every nook and cranny of your teeth. You brush your teeth one after the other, outside and then inside, staying on each for a few seconds. It envelops the tooth to clean it on all its surface.
The electric toothbrush at the best price
The electric toothbrush at the best price must have a long-lasting battery. This varies generally according to the model and the brand: in general, it is between 60 and 90 minutes but everything will depend on the selected power. It is therefore important to choose a battery that is as close to 90 minutes as possible. It must be particularly easy to use and efficient, in other words, it must allow you to clean all sides of your teeth at the same time. In addition, you must ensure that it is durable.
You can opt for the Y-Brush toothbrush. It is a toothbrush that allows you to brush all sides of your teeth simultaneously. It provides 3 modes of soft, normal and intensive vibrations. It is recharged only every 3 months thanks to its good autonomy and its integrated rechargeable battery.
We hope this guide has helped you understand what an electric toothbrush is. The best electric toothbrush must meet both of these criteria. The electric toothbrush you choose will be the one that gives you maximum benefits, has a lot of features and is tailored to your needs. There are a number of criteria for selecting the best value electric toothbrush. You must also know how to use it properly.