If you are here, it is because your gums bleed when you use an interdental brush. In fact, it is quite possible to feel a very slight bleeding when you use interdental brushes. This is not an uncommon phenomenon. You should never stop using them despite tooth sensitivity or bleeding. On the contrary, these manifestations are caused by the inflammation secondary to the presence of dental plaque.
Here is a guide to help you learn more about bleeding gums when using interdental brushes.
What is gum bleeding ?
Bleeding gums is an oral problem that shows that the gums are not receiving the necessary care for their good health. It is important to understand the reasons for this and to take all the necessary measures to prevent it from evolving into a more advanced form of gum disease: gingivitis, which can turn into periodontitis and lead to loosening of the teeth.
The main reasons for bleeding when using an interdental brush
Reason n° 1 : Incorrect use of the interdental brush
It is important to follow the instructions for using the interdental brush:
- The brush is used every day after you brush your teeth, being careful and gentle so as not to damage your gums.
- It is important to insert the brush into the interdental spaces only after you have finished brushing and rinsed your mouth.
- You can then move the brush back and forth so that it rubs over the entire space and then gently remove it.
- Remember to rinse the brush properly with water after use and replace the brush cover.
- It should be changed every seven to ten days, or more often if the bristles are badly worn.
Reason n°2: Too much plaque on your gums
If you're doing interdental brushing for the first time, your gums may be particularly sensitive and bleeding a little. That's because you've just gotten rid of some of the plaque between your teeth. However, if you continue to use the interdental brush, the bleeding will decrease as your gums become healthier
Reason 3: Using an interdental brush is not recommended for you
According to health professionals, it is not recommended to use an interdental brush if you do not have any particular problem.
- You should not use an interdental brush if your gums are healthy and you are young.
- You can floss instead.
The use of the interdental brush is recommended if you have had periodontitis, a loss of bone height in the spaces between the teeth. Only in these cases is the interdental brush most effective.
Solutions for bleeding from an interdental brush
In case of bleeding from your gums because of the interdental brush. You can follow a few simple steps to change your daily oral hygiene. This will help prevent this oral problem from getting worse. It is important to take all these steps as soon as possible every day and not just when your gums are bleeding.
Here are the solutions in case of bleeding because of an interdental brush:
- Proper toothbrushing : You should brush your teeth with a specialized toothpaste at least twice a day with
- a specialized toothpaste for bleeding gums.(how to brush well)
- Daily use of specialized Toothpaste : It helps fight against dental plaque which is the main cause of bleeding gums.
- The choice of an adapted toothbrush : It is important to opt for a manual or electric toothbrush with a small head and soft and round bristles.
- The use of a daily mouthwash : It is necessary to opt for a daily mouthwash for a good protection of the gums.
- Regular visits to the dentist : He will be able to give you an effective treatment against bleeding gums.
The different mouthwashes to reduce bleeding gums
Mouthwashes sold in stores
- Meridol mouthwash : It is sold at the price of 4,90 euros on the Vitalya website. It is a daily care for sensitive teeth and gums that experience occasional gum bleeding. Indeed, it allows to fight the bacteria at the origin of the dental plaque.
- Parogencyl mouthwash : It is sold at the price of 4,20 euros on the site of SantéDiscount. It makes it possible to protect the gums, caries and also prevents the gingival problems. It thus reduces the occasional bleedings of the gums by allowing the elimination of the dental plaque. It allows good access to the interdental spaces.
- Salted ginger mouthwash : You need 120 ml of water, 15 g of salt and 15 g of grated ginger. The recipe is simple: Add the ginger to the water and bring to a boil. As soon as it starts to boil, add the salt. Mix and turn off the heat. Let it cool down and put it in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Mouthwash with fresh mint : you need 230 ml of water and 5 fresh mint leaves. The recipe is simple: Pour the water into the teapot and put on the fire. Once it has come to a boil, add the mint leaves to the water. Leave for 15 minutes to extract the mint juices.
Different toothpastes to reduce bleeding gums
Toothpastes sold in stores
- Zendium Professional toothpaste : It is sold at a price of $3.84 on the Drakkar pharmacy website. It is composed of lactoferrin, proteins and enzymes and helps reduce inflammation and bleeding gums naturally. It brings real relief to people who suffer from gum problems.
- The Y-Brush toothpaste in tube : it is sold at the price of 7,99 euros on the site of Y-Brush. Its fluoride content of 1450 ppm helps strengthen tooth enamel, fight against the formation of cavities, fight plaque and act against bacteria that cause bleeding gums. The ingredient that allows it is mainly hydrated silica adapted to fragile and sensitive gums.
Let yourself be tempted by the Y-Brush toothpaste tube because it contains 99% of natural ingredients. It has been rated 93/100 on Yuka.
- The toothpaste house with the white of meudon : You need : 50 g of white Meudon, 30 g of white clay, 40 ml of water, 1 tablespoon of xylitol, 1 teaspoon of virgin coconut oil, 25 drops of cosgard, 20 drops of essential oil of choice. The recipe is simple: In a bowl, mix the clay, water and white Meudon. In another bowl, you can mix xylitol, coconut oil and essential oils. Then, pour the second mixture into the first to obtain a homogeneous paste. Then, put the drops of cosgard and mix again.the toothpaste is ready, keep it in a jar.
- Homemade toothpaste with chamomile : 1 teaspoon of green clay, 1 teaspoon of white clay, 1 teaspoon of powdered chamomile flowers, 1 teaspoon of powdered iris, 6 powdered cloves. Put all the ingredients in your mortar and mix well with the pestle to obtain a uniform powder. Store in a dry, airtight jar.
We hope this guide has helped you understand why you bleed when you use your interdental brush. We also hope that you have understood all the solutions that are available to you to remedy this oral problem. All the mouthwashes and toothpastes we offer can help relieve the pain. However, regular appointments with your dentist are unavoidable.