You are here because your gums bleed very regularly when you brush your teeth. In fact, you feel pain and tingling inside your mouth. Both of these symptoms are undoubtedly a sign of weak gums. So you need to know what's causing the pain and what you can do about it. Find out now what causes these pains and what you can do about them. After reading this guide you will know how to have healthy gums to maintain good oral hygiene.
Here's your guide to caring for your fragile gums depending on how much pain you're experiencing.
What are fragile gums?
The sensation of fragile or sensitive gums is a strong pain when touched by hot or cold. It is characterised by: minor inflammation, slight pain in the gums and a visible deformation of the cheek. Everything becomes painful when eating. This is a sign that the gums are weakened. Aggressive brushing and cleaning of the teeth is often the cause of gum pain.
What are the main causes of fragile gums?
There are several factors that make your gums sensitive. It is important to know that untreated gums can cause gingivitis or inflammation of the gums. In the most serious case, the infection can take the form of periodontitis. It is therefore important to see a dentist once or twice a year if you have sensitive gums. However, you need to know what the causes are in order to understand where your pain comes from.
Here are the main causes of fragile gums:
- Diet: An unhealthy and unbalanced diet leads to gum pain and gum disease. A diet lacking in vitamin C and calcium increases the risk of gum disease.
- Smoking: Smoking is directly linked to gum disease and increases the risk of gum pain.
- Stress: Stress raises cortisol levels in the body, increasing the likelihood of inflammation throughout the body.
- Lack of oral hygiene: Maintaining a regular oral hygiene routine is the best way to keep teeth healthy and prevent sore gums.
- Periodontitis: Periodontitis is a more advanced form of gum disease with more serious consequences, including possible tooth loss and other health problems.
The technique for less fragile gums
It is important to know how to make your gums less fragile.
This involves several things:
- A suitable toothbrush: Choose a toothbrush with soft bristles. It is particularly inadvisable to use a toothbrush with hard bristles: they attack the gums.
- Toothpaste with fluoride: Choose a desensitising toothpaste from among several brands of toothpaste. It helps to desensitise the gums. You should also check the packaging of the toothpaste you use every day.
- Good brushing: If possible, avoid brushing your gums too hard. The skin of the gums can be very fragile, and brushing too hard will only aggravate tooth sensitivity.
- Flossing: Be very careful when flossing. Flossing is not necessarily good for your gums. There is a risk of bleeding from your teeth if you use too much force.
- Mouthwash: Use a suitable mouthwash that removes bacteria and freshens your breath. It also prevents gingivitis, which helps to heal sensitive gums.
You can use the Y-Brush toothbrush. It is an automatic toothbrush that takes care of your sensitive gums. It is a toothbrush with soft, fine bristles. The bristles are angled at 45° on the sides to gently brush the gums and gum line of your sensitive gums. The filaments have a good inclination which allows a perfect automation of the gesture.
Natural remedies to alleviate the pain of weak gums
If you have gum problems on a regular basis, you should ideally consult a dentist so that the right treatment can be prescribed. However, you can use natural remedies first if you have occasional gum pain. They are also particularly recommended if you think you have the beginnings of gingivitis or other gum pain.
Here are the different natural remedies that reduce pain:
Cleaning mouthwash with baking soda
- Dilute one tablespoon of baking soda in 250 ml of water
- Make 4 or 5 mouthwashes with this preparation during the day
- Keep the mouthwash in your mouth for 1 minute before spitting it out
- Put the mixture in a cool place when you are not using it
- Use it for at least 3 or 4 days
Mouthwash with salt water
- Dilute 1 tablespoon of coarse salt in 1 glass of warm or hot water
- Bathe your mouth with this solution for 1 minute without swallowing
- Rinse with fresh water to eliminate the salty taste in your mouth
- Repeat twice a day
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to brush your teeth after the mouthwash and a desensitising toothpaste.
Mouthwash with sage
- Prepare a cup or pot of boiling water
- Leave 3 grams of dried leaves to infuse for 10 minutes
- Remove the sage leaves and make a mouthwash with the water
- Gargle with the mouthwash for at least 30 seconds
- Use this mouthwash at least twice a day
The right treatment for weak gums
If all natural remedies do not work, it is important to consult a dentist. He or she offers specific oral hygiene products that help maintain good oral hygiene. These are medicines that you can find everywhere in pharmacies. It is important to follow the medical advice of your dentist. He or she will tell you how long the treatment should last.
Here are the different adapted medicines that are sold on the market:
This is an antiseptic mouthwash solution. It is sold at a price of 5.87 euros in pharmacies. It is used in the adjunct treatment of mouth infections or after an operation on the teeth or gums. It acts on dental plaque by destroying bad bacteria.
Here are some indications concerning its use:
- In adults: it must be used pure by making a mouthwash with the contents of the measuring cup
- For children: it must be diluted by half by making a mouthwash with the dosing cup filled to half of solution and mix with water
- For operation: put the mouthwash in the mouth for one minute and then spit it out
- Use of the solution: it is used only 3 times a day
- After use: Do not eat or drink immediately after using this mouthwash.
Elgydium Clinic Cicalium Gel
This is a mouth gel. It is sold at a price of 8.08 euros in pharmacies. It treats mouth sores, i.e. small ulcers that appear in your mouth and cause inflammation of the gums. It forms a protective barrier in the mouth and protects the inner walls.
Here are some indications for its use:
- It can be used by adults and children over the age of 4
- It is to be applied 3 to 4 times a day directly on your fragile gums or lesion using the applicator.
- Avoid eating and drinking for at least one hour after application
- It can be stored between 5°C and 30°C in a dry place and away from heat sources
- It can be kept for two months after opening
It is an oral gel. It is only used as an oral preparation for analgesic purposes. It is sold at a price of 4.85 euros in pharmacies. It is used in the local treatment of limited inflammatory lesions of the oral mucosa. It should not be used for long periods.
Here are some indications for its use:
- Apply the gel only with one finger
- Then gently massage the painful area.
- You should start with one application of the gel: it should be repeated during the day if necessary
- This treatment should not be used for a long time
- Results are usually visible after 5 days: stop using it then
We hope this guide has helped you understand that having weak gums is not an oral problem to be taken lightly. The sooner it is treated, the less likely you are to develop serious oral disease. It is therefore necessary to start with natural remedies to see if the pain subsides. If the pain is more severe, you should not hesitate to consult a doctor.