If you are here, it is because you have a gum abscess and you are looking for a mouthwash that can relieve it. Indeed, it is true that the pain of a dental abscess is compressive under the mechanical effect of pressure. You can start by making a home-made mouthwash. However, it is important to follow up with the use of an antiseptic mouthwash as part of a doctor's treatment. Only a doctor can prescribe antibiotic therapy and anti-inflammatory drugs in addition to a prescription mouthwash to treat an abscessed tooth.
Here is a guide that will help you understand in more detail what a gum abscess is and which mouthwashes to use to relieve your tooth abscess.
What is a dental abscess in the gum ?
A dental abscess is a purulent infection of the gum or oral mucosa. This painful bacterial infection usually occurs on an untreated decayed tooth. It is characterized by swelling of the gums and intense pain. The accumulation of pus in the infected area causes difficulty in chewing and can lead to chewing problems and much more serious complications if not treated.
Probable causes of gum abscess
They are related to a dental cavities that has not been treated or a fracture of the tooth or an important trauma to a tooth that causes a progressive necrosis and thus the appearance of a dental abscess. If left untreated, the decay and bacteria from the plaque will spread to the dental pulp and reach the root end, causing the abscess to form.
They are related to a periodontal disease that has not been treated. The bacteria in the periodontal pockets will then promote the appearance of an abscess. In other cases, the periodontal abscess can also have for origin an accident of evolution of the wisdom teeth. When the wisdom tooth breaks through the gum, a space is created where food debris can accumulate. This space can become a nest for bacteria where their proliferation will be particularly important.
Symptoms of a gum abscess
The most significant symptom of a gum abscess is the appearance of intense and diffuse pain in the tooth or gum. This pain appears suddenly. It usually increases in the days or hours following its appearance. It radiates to the ear, the jaw and the neck.
Other symptoms appear in addition to this intense pain:
- A feeling of uneasiness
- An important fatigue accompanied by fever
- Frequent sleep disturbances
- Swelling of the gums and face
- Difficulty opening the mouth
- An unpleasant taste inside the mouth
- Particular discomfort when swallowing or moving the tongue
- A great sensitivity to hot and cold foods or drinks
- Pain when chewing
There are several solutions to relieve an abscessed tooth before going to the dentist: paracetamol, cold, cloves, baking soda, essential oils and anesthetic gel.
The main benefits of mouthwash for gum abscesses
Plaque control : helps target plaque in hard-to-reach areas such as along the gum line
More targeted brushing : It helps target areas that brushing cannot reach and reaches vulnerable areas between teeth and along the gumline.
A protective formula : It helps strengthen tooth enamel. This makes them more resistant to further acid attacks that could lead to a worsening of your dental abscess.
Consequences without the use of an effective mouthwash
Without the use of an effective mouthwash, the dental abscess will lead to fistulization: this is the formation of a canal that connects the abscess to the mucosa to evacuate the pus. It alleviates the symptoms, but the infection leads to complications because it spreads to other parts of the body:
- In areas adjacent to the abscess: the germs reach the tongue, temples, throat or maxillary sinuses. This can lead to sinusitis.
- In distant organs via the venous network: the brain, the meninges, the inner wall of the heart but also the lungs.
The main mouthwashes to relieve a gum abscess
- Thyme mouthwash: You need 1/2 cup (120 ml) of water, 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme leaves and 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of vodka. The recipe is simple: Bring a pan of water to a gentle boil, add 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme leaves, leave to infuse in fresh water for 10 minutes with a lid so as to retain the volatile essential oils, strain the mixture through a small sieve lined with a coffee filter and then finish by adding 1 or 2 teaspoons of vodka while stirring.
- Calendula mouthwash: Calendula has soothing, softening and antiseptic properties that can soothe your inflamed gums and reduce their sensitivity. All you need is water and magnesium chloride. The recipe is simple: add ten drops of mother tincture in a glass of warm water and make a mouthwash with the mixture. For more effectiveness, make sure you keep the liquid in your mouth for several minutes before spitting it out.
- Magnesium chloride mouthwash: This substance is recommended to relieve infections such as gum abscesses. All you need is magnesium chloride and water. The recipe is simple: you need to mix a teaspoon of magnesium chloride in a glass of water and make a mouthwash with the mixture. For more effectiveness, make sure you keep the liquid in your mouth for several minutes before spitting it out. It has the advantage of being able to be used two to four times a day.
Mouthwashes sold in stores
- Listerine Protection Dents et Gencives Anti-Caries Thé Vert : It is sold in the trade at the price of 4,34 euros. It allows to fight the bacteria responsible for the dental plaque. Its use is very simple: It is enough for you to brush the teeth 2 minutes, to pour 20 ml of solution (for the adults) or 10 ml of solution (for the children), to gargle you during 30 seconds then, you must spit without rinsing.
- Hextril antiseptic mouthwash : It is sold at the price of 4,98 on the site of pharma GDD. It is an antiseptic mouthwash used in the local treatment of mouth affections. Its use is very simple: you just have to dilute the solution to 1/2, by pouring the solution until the notch indicating 15 ml and by completing it with water until the top of the cup. It contains fluoride.
- Arthrodont mouthwash : It is sold at the price of 6,60 euros on the site of Pure Para. It is an oral care used for the daily hygiene of the irritated gums and weakened by the dental abscess. It is ideal as a complement to daily brushing because it contributes to the protection as well as to the immediate and durable appeasement of your gums. Indeed, its formula contains glycyrrhizate of dipotassium which acts on the gums and the interdental spaces in the event of irritated gums.
You can use the Y-Brush toothbrush in addition to your mouthwash. Indeed, it is a toothbrush that has a 45° inclination of the bristles in order to effectively remove the dental plaque and protect the gums.
We hope that this guide has helped you understand that gum abscesses are not an oral infection to be taken lightly. In fact, depending on the cause of your dental abscess, your doctor will refer you to a mouthwash and a specific treatment. However, you can start with a home-made mouthwash to relieve the pain before calling him.