Bad breath is an unpleasant condition that we could do without! The oral cavity, i.e. the mouth, is often a breeding ground for all kinds of bacteria due to food debris and residues from certain foods. A fresh mouthwash is therefore essential: Find out which mouthwash solutions are the most effective in fighting bad breath.
Here's a guide to bad breath and the mouthwash solutions and techniques that can help.
What is bad breath?
Halitosis, more commonly known as "bad breath", is a fairly common oral problem. Many factors related to your oral hygiene but also pathological are at the origin of bad breath. However, bad breath is most often the result of bacteria growing in your mouth. These bacteria most often spread on the tongue, which is a very sensitive area. Only good oral hygiene and brushing techniques can solve this problem of bad breath.
The main causes of bad breath
Mouthwash with a bad breath solution to combat bad breath. But what causes bad breath?
- Mainly the accumulation of bacteria and plaque. Note also that cavities can encourage the growth of bacteria and give you bad breath. Antiseptic mouthwashes are necessary to remedy this.
- Alternatively, you should also know that smoking causes bad breath, even if you mask it with chlorophyll chewing gum or fresh mint. It is the growth of bacteria that causes the unpleasant smell and dry mouth.
- Another cause of bad breath is digestive problems. Gastric reflux and intestinal problems can be major causes of the bad smell that comes out of the mouth. And this time, brushing your teeth three times a day won't help: you need to see a doctor and drink green tea with cinnamon.
In any case, in order to have a healthy mouth, you must favour natural dental care and drink a lot of water. This will help you to have a fresh mouth.
Homemade mouthwash solutions
These are solutions based on natural products. Indeed, it is sometimes difficult to get fresh breath even if you brush your teeth every day. However, there are natural remedies that are particularly effective in combating bad mouth odour. This saves you the trouble of getting advice from your dentist first.
The first solution: parsley mouthwash
Parsley is one of the best plants to use as a mouthwash against bad breath. Indeed, it neutralises the sulphur compounds found in the mouth and intestines. It is therefore relatively effective if you have eaten garlic or onions. In addition, it also has a chlorophyll content that helps to reduce bad odours to give you a fresh feeling.
Here is the recipe for this parsley mouthwash solution:
- Take half a handful of fresh parsley
- Pour at least ½ litre of water into a saucepan
- Add the fresh parsley to the pan
- Boil for 5 minutes and leave to cool for a few minutes
- Use this mixture after every meal in the morning, noon and evening
The second solution: clove mouthwash
Cloves are a spice from Indonesia. It is renowned in dentistry for its antibacterial, antiseptic and anaesthetic properties. The main component that acts against bad breath is eugenol. It is capable of destroying all the bacteria that cause bad breath. In addition, it is also good for digestion, which helps to reduce bad breath.
Here is the recipe for this clove mouthwash solution:
- Heat at least 250 ml of water in a pan
- Add three cloves to the water
- Also add a few bay leaves
- Leave the mixture to infuse for at least twenty minutes
- Remove the cloves from the fire
- You can also chew the cloves like gum. This is an equally effective alternative.
The third solution: cider vinegar mouthwash
Cider vinegar is also known to eliminate bacteria in the mouth. It helps fight bad breath to keep teeth clean and bright white. However, it is important not to overuse this mouthwash solution. Mouthwash that is too convenient is corrosive. It attacks the tooth enamel. This is why it should not be used more than twice a week.
Mouthwash solutions on the market
Commercially available mouthwash solutions are particularly suitable for the oral mucosa. They are specially formulated to remove all the impurities in your mouth that cause bad breath. The only thing you need to do is to see which one is best for your dental sensitivity.
Here are two effective mouthwash solutions that are commercially available:
Gum Halicontrol: this is a mouthwash that keeps your breath fresh and healthy. It captures the compounds that create bad odours inside your mouth. It eliminates all bacteria that create halitosis.
CB12 mouthwash: This is a mouthwash that prevents bad breath. It neutralises volatile sulphur compounds in the mouth. Its sodium fluoride eliminates bad breath and prevents it from reappearing.
In addition to using a homemade or commercially available mouthwash, you can use the Y-Brush toothbrush. This toothbrush brushes all the teeth and their surfaces at the same time, which also helps to keep your breath fresh.
We hope this guide has helped you understand that reducing bad breath is up to you. Indeed, whether you practice home-made mouthwashes or buy mouthwashes, the result will be the same. However, it is important for you to know which mouthwash solution you prefer.