If you are here, it is because you have not been convinced by the use of electric or manual toothbrushes. You are looking for a much more eco-friendly alternative that will allow you to take just as much care of your teeth. You think a wooden toothbrush might be what you're looking for but you're not sure.
Here's a guide on why you should choose a wooden toothbrush over a plastic one.
What is a wooden toothbrush ?
The wooden toothbrush is a good alternative to the plastic toothbrushes that are sold everywhere in the market. Indeed, many companies have decided to do away with non-recyclable materials that pollute our environment. That's why they decided to design an ecological toothbrush that does not contain any chemical product either for the handle or for the bristles. It is used like a classic manual toothbrush. In other words, you just have to rinse it and let it dry in the open air for a few hours. It is usually changed every three months if it does not have an interchangeable head. If not, simply change the head after that time. Don't panic, if the wooden handle is worn out, it is biodegradable, compostable and recyclable.
What are the different advantages of a wooden toothbrush
A wooden toothbrush is a toothbrush that has the advantage of being made in France. There is thus no question to be asked as regards the quality of this accessory essential to the brushing of the teeth. But it also has many other assets that guarantee you that buying it is a good choice.
Here are the different advantages of a wooden toothbrush:
- Its design material is easily recycled: wood is a material that after some treatments can be recycled and disappear completely in nature once in compost. It is a better choice for those who want to reduce plastic waste.
- A good toothbrushing sensation: it provides a much more natural brushing sensation that allows you to take care of your teeth and gums because its mostly soft and fine bristles allow you to brush your teeth very gently.
- It does not contain chemicals: it does not contain bisphenol A which is a synthetic chemical substance that acts as an endocrine disruptor that affects the hormonal functioning of men and women.
- It is more aesthetic than the plastic toothbrush: It has the advantage of being very aesthetic and constitutes a real element of decoration of the bathroom. They give a natural effect contrary to the plastic toothbrushes whose hairs are damaged quickly.
- The packaging is more ecological: wooden toothbrushes are packed in 100% cardboard packaging. This is another advantage of this type of toothbrush if you want to reduce your environmental impact.
The different brands of wooden toothbrushes
There are many brands of wooden toothbrushes on the market. However, they are not made of the same type of wood. However, they are very often made of beech wood and oak wood which are known for their strength and hardness but also for their biodegradability in nature.
Here are the different brands of wooden toothbrushes:
The toothbrush in Beechwood "Dubois"-Bioseptyl
It is a toothbrush sold at the price of 5,40 euros on the site Label Poulette. It is a toothbrush made of beech wood from sustainably managed forests in Picardie and Normandy. It has soft bristles in organic vegetable nylon. The manufacture of this toothbrush is 100% French. There are two types of brush bristles, soft or medium. It does not present any risks for our oceans, since it decomposes in a few weeks.
The wooden toothbrush with changeable head - La Maline
This toothbrush is sold for 9 euros on the website J'aime mes dents. It is an ecological and natural toothbrush made in France. It combines a 100% wooden handle from French sustainably managed forests with a refillable head. It is made of soft and fine Nylon bristles which are particularly soft for teeth and gums. It is therefore perfectly reusable for several months.
The soft walnut wood toothbrush-Caliquo
This toothbrush is sold for 27.50 euros on the alternativi website. It consists of three parts: the handle, its extension and the brush. The black ABS handle is handmade from walnut wood. The wood used is from European forests to limit the carbon footprint. This toothbrush can be kept for life, as only the head can be changed when it is worn out. A small metal ring separates the handle and its extension.
The beech wood toothbrush - Le père Lucien
It is a toothbrush sold at the price of 5.90 euros on the site Le père Lucien. It is a toothbrush made of ecological beech wood and 95% biodegradable. These biosourced bristles are made of Nylon 10-10. The handle is made of beech wood from Swiss sustainable eco-managed forests. Simply cut off the head of your toothbrush before throwing the wooden handle in the compost. It has a small head of 2.5 cm which makes it effective in removing plaque.
The Eco-Friendly Wooden Toothbrush-Elgydium
It is a toothbrush sold at the price of 4.50 euros on the site of Soin et Nature. It allows you to take care of your teeth and to respect the environment at the same time. It is made of beech wood which avoids the use of plastic for the handle, which is a significant advantage for the preservation of the environment. The beech comes from Swiss eco-managed and FSC certified forests.
If you want to continue your ecological approach, you can use the Y-Brush toothpaste tablets. These are 120 mint-flavored tablets that come in a metal box. It is a vegan and paraben-free product that is 100% natural. It contributes to both respect the environment but also your oral health.
The maintenance of a wooden toothbrush
Taking good care of your wooden toothbrush is not something to be taken lightly. Indeed, bacteria and microbes can cling to the bristles of the toothbrush. This is a potential risk for the health of the mouth. It is therefore necessary to perfectly clean and maintain your toothbrush to preserve a good oral hygiene.
Here are the different ways to maintain your wooden toothbrush:
With baking soda
- Pour boiling water in a large cup
- Add two teaspoons of baking soda.
- Once the baking soda dissolves completely in the water
- dip your toothbrush into the cup and let the baking soda work overnight.
- Rinse your toothbrush with warm water before using it after cleaning.
- Remember to do this at least once a week.
- You need to pour 3 or 4 tablespoons of vinegar into very hot water.
- Its action being very strong, 3 or 4 tablespoons will be enough.
- The time of pose is also more limited, it will be enough of about thirty minutes so that the brush is cleaned.
- After a good rinse, the brush is ready for use.
- If you want to avoid using hot water, you can also do the operation with cold water.
- The process will take much longer with cold water
- The active elements present in a mouthwash are effective to clean the wooden toothbrush
- It removes all the bacteria present on the toothbrush as it does inside your mouth.
- It is necessary to plunge the bristles in a glass of mouthwash. You will have to wait about twenty minutes then use the sterilized brush.
- Your toothbrush will quickly change color by taking that of the mouthwash
- The antibacterial action of the mouthwash will take effect on your toothbrush, and it will be ready for a new use.
- This is a practical solution if you already use a mouthwash on a daily basis because you save money.
With a microwave oven
- Place your toothbrush in a glass of water and put it in your microwave.
- Heat your toothbrush for about a minute at 600 watts for an effective cleaning.
- You can use this quick technique once a week.
- Of course, this trick doesn't work if there is a piece of metal on your brush.
- This sanitizing method removes over 99.99% of the microorganisms on the brush.
- However, this is an effective technique that should not be repeated all the time as it may damage the bristles of your toothbrush.
With hydrogen peroxide
- You can once a month in the evening, let the head of the brush soak in a glass filled with water
- Take a bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide preferably
- Add a tablespoon of 10 volume hydrogen peroxide
- You must soak the toothbrush overnight
- Rinse the wooden toothbrush thoroughly in the morning
- It is important to repeat this procedure only once a month
We hope this guide has helped you understand what a wooden toothbrush is. We hope that you have understood that it is much more ecological and less harmful to your health than a plastic toothbrush. We invite you to choose among the proposed wooden toothbrushes because one of them may suit you. However, if you are not satisfied with the use, you can always opt for a sonic toothbrush which is known for its good brushing performance. As far as maintenance is concerned, you are totally free as to how you want to do it.